Tuesday, October 14, 2014

(Round 2) Week 4, Day 2

Tonight we took the girls to their first live show.  Oh, how they loved it!  When we were here in August and I saw that Veggie Tales Live was doing a show at the church we are attending, I secretly hoped we would be here for it.  At the time, we knew Buttercup would enjoy it because she knows the characters and many of the songs, but I figured Sunshine might be just coming along for the ride.  Well, the past couple of weeks, Sunshine has been watching Sing Along DVDs and many Veggie Tales shows during her feeding therapy, at her own request!  "Bob" is what she calls it.  He is clearly her favorite.  Matt and I both enjoyed the show too, but I think what was most fun was seeing both the girls so excited about it.  An extra bonus for them was a gift from the children's pastor at the church.  They love their new Bob and Larry stuffed toys.  Perfect.





Since the show was right at supper time, doing a feeding session for Sunshine just didn't work tonight.  We brought syringes of her milk/yogurt drink with us and gave her that before the show.  We'd planned to do a formal "meal" when we got home, but it was already 8:30 and time for bed, so it was a few more syringes instead.  I liken it to those days when you give your kids a happy meal in their carseat because it would just take too long to sit and wait for them to actually eat.  It was just one of those days.

Our therapy team has been brainstorming changes we can make to try to stop Sunshine's vomiting issue.  Thankfully, we have now had two days without any problems!  Hoping and praying that some of the changes are working!  I know there are reasons for all of the changes, but I don't know if I can' articulate them all.  So, without a lot of explanation:  We are going back to using the smaller spoons (the same as we were using last time we were here).  We are trying to limit the amount of air she gets when drinking, either by priming the drink up the straw before giving it to her or using a larger straw with a one-way valve.  We are only doing facial exercises and chewing practice at two of her feeding sessions, to give her a bit of a longer time between when she's actually eating.  We are continuing her reflux medicine in the morning (vs. evening).  We have been giving her a natural medicine for constipation each morning to keep her system moving.  It's a lot to remember!

Sunshine got her own purple glove to play with during her mid-morning session.
Sunshine's new high chair arrived at the clinic today!  Yay!  It is in two very large boxes.  It is going to take some creative packing to figure out how to get it and all our stuff back to Mishawaka where we will be packing our moving truck.  I look forward to telling you all about it because that will mean we figured something out!

1 comment: